Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

This is what happens...

When the sun is in the sky and all is well in the world you should not sit on a couch and decide to read a book in one sitting. You should especially avoid this if you can't even remember what the book is about, but only remember that it has been on your to-read list for ages and now you have an afternoon free. So I read a zombie apocalyptic Young Adult book in completely one sitting and didn't realize until I was done with it that the sun had set and all the blinds were up, letting the forest outside shift in the night wind.

Yeah, not the best idea. Oh, and I forgot to mention the book: The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. It was good. Really good. I just couldn't tear myself away from the book and I had to tell myself to calm down and read the WHOLE paragraph before jumping to the next page to see if what was going to happen next. Man though, it wasn't really a happy book. It had some disturbing images and a lot of death, but it was sure thrilling and I sped through the entire novel like there was no tomorrow.

There's only one problem. Once I was done reading I was thinking, breathing, and seeing unconsecrated bodies leering at me all around the house. My legs were kind of shaky because I had been so tense while reading the book that I hadn't moved from my position for a couple of hours.

Needless to say, I did NOT want to be alone. The house was far too quiet and I couldn't quite distinguish between reality and fantasy. So it was a good thing my sister was home to distract me otherwise I probably would have gone crazy. It's even been hours since I read the book and Still whenever I hear an odd noise my heart kind of speeds up.

Gee whiz, I can only imagine what my dreams will be like tonight, but it was totally worth it. Haha.

~Currently listening to:
The Silver Cord by The Classic Crime

2 comments:

  1. Man, I felt the exact same way after I read that book. It's kind of funny that I just knew what you had read. I decided to read part of it one night since I had an extra hour or so, and I ended up staying up until 4:30 finishing it because I literally could not put it down.

    I think it's maybe the closure at the end that keeps you from having nightmares. I was surprised, too, but the more I think about it, the more I think the resolution (at least out of the forest) helped.

    I'm still a little freaked out, though. I don't think I'll be revisiting it anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike, plus we are both English majors and have that superpower known as book savvy.

    I had already decided that I just wanted to sit and read a book for a couple of hours, but once I started this novel I was hooked and couldn't even take a break or go to the bathroom. I wanted to know what happened.

    I agree, the ending didn't leave you with a majorly crazy cliffhanger, but offered you some breathing room. But I also immediately put the second book on hold at the library. Obsessive, probably. But for thing is for sure, I am reading this book during the morning hours. Uh, yeah.

    ReplyDelete